Rebutting pro-software patents arguments
- pro-patent thought: “We need a Europe-wide patent. Having to claim for a software patent in 25 countries is far too costly”.
- I say: you’re right, and that’s perfectly fine for me, as far as you stay away from software patents.
- pro-patent thought: “patent software is fundamental to competitiveness”.
- I say: this is a gratuitous statement, not strongly supported by economic studies. Prove it. From my entrepreneur point of view, I can, however, see clearly how software patents put software businesses in jeopardy.
- pro-patent thought: “TRIPS boosts R&D”